Backend Software Developer—Big Data
Location is FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a software developer to enhance and expand our core live data-processing backend systems. We process over 180 million incoming messages an hour from over 22,000 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry. You’ll:
- Design, build and maintain ETL pipelines to support data and analytical needs.
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, develop fixes, and design auditing to prevent future issues.
- Create robust and scalable production services that provide data for our end-user facing products.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software products.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or software engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Strong grasp of algorithms and data structures.
- Experience with Postgres, MySQL, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with Unix and scripting languages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to think on your feet and adapt well to a quickly changing environment, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ideally, you have:
- Experience with C or C++.
- Experience with Kafka and Cassandra.
- Experience with machine learning.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with statistics.
- Familiarity with basic models of concurrency.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
To apply and provide a small demonstration of your technical prowess, send your application to:
by setting the content of the
data variable to valid JSON with the following properties:
name: String with your name (required)
email: String with your email address (required)
position: String with the position you are applying for (required)
urls: Array of strings with links to your resume (required), along with any personal sites, sample projects, or your Github profile
comment: String with any comment/request you might have (optional)
You will receive a 200 response on success.