Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a UI/UX designer to create the next generation of aviation web applications. We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for usability, an eye for visual consistency, and a knack for reducing the complex to the bare essentials
- Anticipates and resolves issues and problems that arise, suggesting alternative approaches and solutions
- Seeks out new tools and techniques to facilitate work
- Is resourceful, well organized, and has a can-do attitude
- Is enthusiastic about FlightAware and our products
- Work with the design team on the user experience and visual appearance of FlightAware’s existing and upcoming digital products
- Participate in every part of a project’s design process: research and discovery, presenting findings, design, working closely with developers to execute, and testing and refining of the final product
- Translate usability and field research findings into design improvements
- Create sketches, user flows, wireframes, design comps, interaction designs, and high fidelity prototypes for applications and products and features within them
- Provide creative solutions in strategy discussions
- Design solutions that align with FlightAware brand
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and coordinate with cross-functional teams
- Work within an iterative, Agile environment
- Attend required meetings and maintain open communication about project status
The ideal candidate has a portfolio of past visual design and UI/UX work to show off.
- 2-4 years experience in user-centered research, testing and design for responsive, cross-browser, and mobile experiences
- Proficiency in Adobe CC and experience with prototyping tools
- An understanding of HTML & CSS
- Familiarity with front end frameworks a plus
- Knowledge of responsive, adaptive and accessible design
- Up to date with UI/UX trends and best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to explain rationale behind design decisions
- Familiarity working within established brand standards
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies and design methodologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject "Application: UI/UX Designer - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.