Junior Technical Project Manager
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a technically oriented project manager to join our project management office. FlightAware is the largest aviation web site in the world, serving more than 200M pages / month. We process over 40 million incoming messages an hour from over 45 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry.
The ideal individual has a strong technical background with some experience working as a project manager. The majority of projects will require familiarity with the software development lifecycle and a basic understanding of server hardware and networks. You'll:
- Plan, lead, and drive to completion a variety of projects in an Agile environment.
- Create project plans.
- Document requirements and write user stories.
- Facilitate meetings such as discoveries, stand-ups, retrospectives.
- Resolve blockers and manage cross-team work.
- Adapt to changing priorities.
- Manage and handle communication with third-party vendors.
- Communicate status updates to Director of PMO and executives, both verbally and in writing.
- Maintain and promote the PMO processes throughout the organization.
- Be mentored by the Director of PMO.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- 0-2 years technical Project Management experience. A candidate with no PM experience should have a very strong technical background.
- Minimum 3-5 years working in a technical role (software development, systems engineering, QA), preferably at a technology company.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications, analytical and presentation skills.
- Able to think on your feet and adapt well to a quickly changing environment, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to dig deep and thoroughly understand problems and solutions.
- Ideally, you'll have:
- Experience with Agile/Kanban.
- Interest in pursuing PMP certification.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies and methodologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject "Application: Junior Technical Project Manager - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.