Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is the largest aviation web site in the world, serving more than 500M pages / month. We process over 40 million incoming messages an hour from over 45 individual data feeds—over 150 gigabytes a day and growing—to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry.
FlightAware needs talented and motivated IT professionals to reliably and consistently operate FlightAware's large infrastructure of FreeBSD and Linux servers in Houston, New York, and London.
- Design, build, and maintain FlightAware's global infrastructure based on FreeBSD and Linux servers, routers, load balancers, custom software, etc.
- Help build and maintain our next generation infrastructure for handling big data and scaled out systems using Docker, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Kafka and similar technologies.
- Develop expansion and growth plans, purchase and deploy datacenter equipment.
- Help plan and implement datacenter expansions and deployments.
- Serve as part of a rotating on-call for infrastructure or operational problems.
- Strong Unix skills (FreeBSD or Linux preferred)
- Juniper JunOS, Cisco IOS or similar familiarity
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL, or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Knowledge of at least one programming or scripting language.
- Understanding of the FlightAware web site
- Able to think on your feet and adapt well to a quickly changing environment, and work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ideally, you have:
- Experience with Cassandra, Kafka or related technologies.
- An understanding of containerization technologies such as Docker, LXC, Jails, or Zones.
- A working understanding of IPv6.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Promotion opportunities to Senior Systems Engineer, Director of IT Operations.
Salary varies based on experience
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Systems Engineer - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.